Saturday, June 21, 2008

Hoo-ah?

Turks in the middle of their military service at a base near Eğirdir came into town for the weekend to be with their families. I never actually met any young militaristic and clean-shaven Turks wandering the streets with their families, so I unfortunately can't really write about that.

However! I did see a guy on the street just before we left Eğirdir this morning wearing a fascinating t-shirt. Ideally I'd display this shirt in a picture, but I didn't get one, so I'll do my best to display it dramatically as possible as text.

SIMPLE QUESTION PREVENTS AUTOMATIC ACTION!

His shirt really was that color.

Perhaps because I was already thinking about the Turkish military and forlorn about my lost blog post about conscripts, I immediately linked this shirt to the military complex in Turkey and shot off on a mental tangent. The above sentiment seems central to the system - officers are trained to think and reason, but the average Turk civilian, doing his obligatory 8-month stint in the military but nothing more, only gets trained to obey orders. So this is the capstone of the Turkish education system - questions, even simple ones, even important ones, even good ones, prevent automatic obedience and are discouraged. It's a good method for training sheep but maybe less good for training citizens of a democracy.

1 comment:

Ranger Ron said...

Can you re-create your lost blog post on conscripts?

But they are not training citizens or educating the populace - they are training soldiers who have to first learn to obey orders or risk getting themselves and others killed.

Education of the masses on how to question, how to develop solutions, how to improve the current socio-economic situation is probably not the primary role of the Turkish military.

It's an interesting dilemma...

How much, how to, and when to question...

This dimemma exists outside of the military as well...