Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Fourth in a series of dispatches from Eşenler

I've been kind of overwhelmed by the importance of the family in the village and in the minds of our hosts. In our opening conversation the first evening, all of my questions were about my hosts' political opinions and personal histories, but all of theirs were about my family.

This was apparently not just idle conversation. When we went to dinner last night (an extended family affair that included about the same number of aunts, uncles, and cousins that my family typically sees at Christmas) I was introduced as "Kevin, who has one sister who is 30 years old and is married with a 2-year old son and a mother and father who are alive."

Foods.
This was another meal, not the big extended family one, but you get some of the mood I hope.

When we went out cherry-picking this morning, it began as just me and Ihsan, but eventually most of his family - mother, father, brother, sister-in-law, nephew - was there.

No idea why his mother is hiding behind that tree.
Obviously I've missed a few in this photo. Sorry.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting story and great photos! Did you tell them anything else about your parents besides that they exist? What is a common lifespan in Turkey?

Ranger Ron said...

I am glad that you were introduced with all of your relatives still present. The alternative is not a pleasant thought. Maybe that is why they do introductions that way - just keeping up with changes that might have occurred since the last meeting. The family seems very accommodating - hope you had some time to practice your Turkish
ünlem Alo. Merhaba Günaydın Hoş geldiniz. Hoş bulduk. (nad). Yahu, nedir bu ?